Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

can I run 13.1 miles?

On March 20, 2011 I will be running my first half marathon!  I found out today that I was accepted into the 2011 New York City half marathon.  I am so excited but also pretty nervous because I have never run a race this long before.  I used to run cross country but that was only a 5K, granted it was on a very hilly course but still it wasn't even close to 13.1 miles.

Kevin has promised that he will be there cheering me on.  It will mean so much to hear him screaming for me and I know it will make me run even faster.  I wonder if he knows that the race starts at 7:25 on a Sunday morning... hehe.  I hope my parents will come cheer me on as well.  My mom was my best cheerleader when I ran cross country and I definitely ran my best when she was there.  

So now my training begins.  Do I even know how to train?  Nope but I will do my best.  This half marathon will be a great jump start to getting in shape and losing weight for my September wedding.

5 comments:

Ingrid Gray said...

How exciting! I "ran" a half marathon in Memphis a couple years ago. I probably only ran about 10 minutes of it because I didn't train properly, but if you want to do it right, there's a lot of websites out their with training schedules to help you! Good luck!

Ingrid Gray said...

Whoops 10 MILES* 10 minutes would be quite pitiful. The Half would've taken hours! lol

Unknown said...

I am definitely going to research how to train properly. I am pretty nervous about it at the moment but I have time to train.

Holly said...

Congrats, Megan! That's so exciting! I have run two half marathons and the first one, which I trained more for, was definitely a better experience than my second one! Here is the 12-week training program I used: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm. It's great and I felt very prepared. And I didn't walk at all during my first race; can't say the same for my second one. I plan to run a third half marathon in 2011. I know you'll do great!! Good luck training!

Unknown said...

Thanks Holly! That is a really great and not too daunting training program. I just printed it out:) I cannot wait to run the half marathon. I really want to run a full marathon some day but I think I will just focus on the half for now.